Tuesday 6 December 2011

More feasting on Light Blue Uniforms

I'm gratified by all the interest generated by my post on my new Imagi-Nation Grenadier battalions
http://notjustoldschool.blogspot.com/2011/12/grenadiers-anyone.html
Thank you to everyone who commented. However, Jean-Louis of Lyon, France has got very excited by the possibilities in my question "What should I do for the next 24 Victrix Austrian Grenadier figures?" In the Comments section to that post he has supplied very many links to uniforms, mostly French, from 17th to 19th Centuries. I suspect many of my readers might not be aware of this mine of information, nor look at the comments section if it is hidden in their visible page format.  So if you are at all interested in uniforms from Louis XIV up to the Franco-Prussian War, or just want inspiration for Imagi-Nation regiments please go and take a look.

For my part I've now checked my Blandford "Uniforms of the American Revolution" by John Mollo and Malcolm McGregor, and my eyes nearly popped when I found Jean-Louis' suggestion to adapt Lauzun's Legion to my 1760 Savoy/French army. Can't resist showing it to you all
Wow - Light blue and yellow, that looks really great, and apart from filling in the bearskin front plate my Victrix Grenadiers will do the trick nicely. So thanks, Jean-Louis, vous- etes un tres vrais gentilhomme!
Shame though - I'll now need to get some more light blue hussars, what a hardship :-)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,
    I love Lauzun's Legion uniforms too, the colour combination is "just right". My own 15mm "Hussars Etrangere" are based on them.
    Have you seen the "Illustrated Encyclopedia of Uniforms from 1775 to 1783: The American Revolutionary War" book by Smith and Kiley? There are some great pictures of Lauzun's Hussars in red breeches too and an Officer with a white trimmed, white Pelisse - a cool looking commander for your legion?
    The book covers Americans, British, French, German and Spanish forces as well as section on "naval warfare" on the Great Lakes. It's currently under £20 on Amazon too.

    all the best

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ian
    Yes, I do indeed have that book and I see on page 182 exactly what you mean - he would make a great looking commander. To be honest, I'm working through the AWI from the beginning and I've only got to late 1776 so the French are way over the horizon. Since my little brain can't cope with too much at once I was saving looking at them for a later date....until J-L and yourself brought them to my attention- thank you.
    CG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauzun's Legion has been a favorite formation of mine for many years now. Right up there with the Royal Du Ponts during the AWI. I have a unit of Minden Prussian hussars that I based on the unifrms of the legion's hussars way back in 2011 or 2012.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stokes. Yes it was a fortunate day for me when Ian, as an art client, pointed me in the direction of this Legion

      Delete